Horse racing on Low Moor, Richmond, dates from the seventeenth century. As a racecourse it was abandoned in 1891 as the bends were too tight for the modern racehorses being selectively bred. It is now Open Access Land comprising rough grassland and is still used for exercising horses.
The plaque above the boarded window states that this building was erected in 1814 by W.S. Goodburne Esq., Mayor, and probably housed the starters.