Situated on the ancient route from Guisborough Priory to Whitby Abbey, this boundary stone probably stood on the site of a medieval way marker or cross. It’s inscribed with the date 1798 marking the boundary of the estate of Robert Chaloner. Today it’s the boundary of Guisborough and Lockwood parishes.
The 1.9m high stone is of limestone which must have meant quite a journey transporting it here as the nearest outcrops are in the Tabular Hills on the southern North York Moors.
The North Sea can just be made out in the distance.