A second dose of industrial archaeology in as many days. This is just inside the drift of the Grinkle Ironstone Mine, near Staithes. The mine dates from 1865 and operated until the 1920s. Output ceased in 1921 but was recommenced six years later with final production in 1929. Ore was carried by rail through a couple of tunnels to the coast at Port Mulgrave where it was transported by ship to blast furnaces at Jarrow.
The mine is unusual in that the drift is quite wide. A single track tramway ran down the right hand side for hauling out the ore. Miners walked down the left. It was usual, indeed was required by the mining regulations, to have separate entrances for entering and exiting the mine.