A late 18c bridge built of limestone ashlar spanning the River Rye. Consisting of three arches it was built after a mediaeval bridge was destroyed by a terrific flood of 1754. It was on this bridge that Joseph Mallord William Turner stood in 1826 to paint his picture of Rievaulx Abbey which is on display in York Art Gallery. See here. The recreation of Turner’s view would not be possible today due to the amount of trees along the river bank.
What is just as interesting is the concrete ramp down to the river. That is the remains of a former ford for tanks of the 11th Armoured Division when they were stationed at Duncombe Park during WW2 to avoid damaging the ancient bridge. The other side of the ford is now obscured by a private garden.