Hidden away in the forestry and almost buried this twin stone arched entrance is all that can be seen of the Ailesbury Ironstone Mine. The mine is located in Scugdale, just up the road from the village of Swainby, and operated from 1857 to 1885. It’s most likely named after the Marquis of Ailesbury, the landowner. Ore from this mine was transported by tramway to the calcining kilns located alongside Scugdale Beck, the subject of an earlier post. From there there was a branch of the Cleveland and North Yorkshire Railway for transport to the ironworks at Stockton-on-Tees.