In the early hours of July 22, 1840, following extensive rain, a dam on the River Leven at Kildale burst its banks causing considerable damage downstream. This abandoned weir was the overflow to the dam and is now buried in woodland. It held back two fish ponds belonging to Kildale Hall. The Durham Advertiser was reported at the time that in the narrow gorge below the weir the water was between 30 and 40 feet above the usual level. An old corn mill lower down the narrow valley was swept away and a bleaching mill destroyed. In Great Ayton the weir in the village gave way. The replacement stills stands opposite Suggitts. Further downstream more damage was reported in Stokesley and the twin villages of Hutton and Rudby.