Spanning the River Esk at Westerdale this mediaeval bridge provided access from Guisborough and Baysdale in the north to the Royal Forest of Pickering which covered a large area of the modern North York Moors. It dates from the 13c. The name means hunter’s steep path, presumably after the sunken lane up to the village which the modern road follows. The bridge parapet was restored in 1874 by Octavius Duncombe, son of the first Baron Feversham of Helmsley.
The modern road fords the river a little upstream which perhaps has contributed to the bridge’s survival.