The last of the setting sun strikes the boundary stone on Burton Howe, a Bronze Age burial mound on Ingleby Moor. The mound was excavated in the 1950s and is described by Historic England as a “Bronze Age round barrow of two constructional phases including kerb surviving as an earthwork. No trace of ditch. Excavation in 1956 revealed central cist, cremation burials and pottery.”
The plume of smoke on the right of the photo is from the burning of the heather to encourage new growth to feed the grouse.