A former waggonway, 2¼ miles long, under the heart of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Opened in 1842 the tunnel is a remarkable feat of engineering as a means of transporting coal from the Spital Tongues Colliery to the coal staithes on the Tyne quayside. It was in use for a mere eighteen years and then forgotten until brought back into use as an air raid shelter in World War II.
Today the tunnel is under the care of the Ouseburn Trust and public tours are available. A truly memorable trip.