The colliery has long gone, but Easington Colliery is still the name of the village about 500m west of the beach. When the colliery was in operation this beach would have been black with coal waste dumped into the sea. The conveyor was near the rock known as The Loom in the distance. The Amber Collection has a photo showing the conveyor. There is no trace of it now; the beach is clean with just the occasional brick as a reminder of its past life. Easington Colliery closed in 1993 after 83 years of coal extraction. The seams were at a depth of 1,500 feet and extended four miles under the North Sea. In 1951 an underground explosion killed 83 men, a tragedy which is still remembered today.