Bransdale is the National Trust’s best kept secret. The Lodge and 2,000 acres along were twenty or so tenant farms were gifted to the National Trust in 1969 after the death of Lord Feversham in lieu of death duties. The Trust and most of the tenant farmers wouldn’t want the narrow roads heavy with visitor traffic so it is deliberately kept low key.
St Nicholas’s church overlooks the dale. It is Grade II listed, recorded as being built in 1886 but Nikolaus Pevsner, the architectural historian, maintains it must date earlier around the turn of that century. Apparently the window surrounds give the game away. He suggests the date 1886 was a remodelling.