Ayton Ironstone Mine operated from 1908 until 1931. It was known unofficially as Monument Mine and worked a large area below Great Ayton Moor with its main entrance east of Capt. Cook’s monument. Horse power was used below ground and these horses were stabled at Summerhill Farm north of Gribdale Terrace. To gain access a second drift was constructed at Summerhill for access for men and horses. A small brick powder house, used to store explosives, next to the filled drift is the only reminder of this industry.