Kepwick is a small village on the western edge of the North York Moors. The moors above Kepwick are limestone and was extensively quarried. This incline was used to haul the stone 800′ down to the valley floor below. Presumably there would have been a bridge carrying the incline over the road Kepwick to Hawnby road. The waggonway then continued 3½ miles to the kilns on the Thirsk to Yarm road. It was last used in 1893.