There has reportedly been a water mill on this spot alongside Hodge Beck since the late 13th century. The present building was built by William Strickland in 1811 increasing the capacity with the addition of a 16 foot overshot water wheel. A window lintel gives a date of rebuilding of 1842. It had been substantially extended in 1817. Corn was last milled in 1917 with grist, a brewer’s mash made from corn, grounded until 1953. Bransdale Mill is Grade II listed and owned by the National Trust as part of their Bransdale property. It has more recently been used as a bunkhouse but is currently awaiting restoration.