A single storey sandstone building with date 0f 1826 on the door lintol. It underwent restoration in 2008 after a gable had collapsed in storms the previous year. It is unused but still contains the original functionality although the beehive-shaped firehood was destroyed by the collapse. The building contains element of an earlier construction indeed a 1781 map shows a blacksmith’s shop. It was last used in the 1940s.
The village of Chop Gate is on the B1257 between Stokesley and Helmsley and is pronounced ‘Chop Yat’. On the left of the photo is the Buck Inn which incidentally is also shown on the 1781 map but recorded as Baker’s coffee house and garden.