Only appreciated in its wooded grounds from this height on Kemplah Bank. Sir Joseph Whitwell Pease, Bart, M.P., had Hutton Hall built as his country pile in 1866 which even included its own private railway station on the North Eastern Railway at Hutton Gate. The Pease money came from the railways, coal and iron, built up over three generations. In 1902 however the Pease was almost bankrupted in a banking crash forcing the sale of the hall. It was left uninhabited it was used during the Spanish Civil War to house Spanish nuns and Basque refugees. During the Second World War it was requisitioned for military use. It has now been converted and divided up for residential.