After William and Mary became King and Queen in 1688 they set about, amongst a few other important matters of state, redesigning Hampton Court. They had an avenue of trees installed using Common Lime trees, a hybrid tree developed in Holland. This landscape feature was replicated by land owning protestant Whigs to show their support for the co-regnants. Tories on the other hand, predominately Roman Catholic and still supporting the exiled James II and took to planting avenues of oaks or elms. By the mid 19th century, when the Duke of Newcastle planted his avenue of limes on his country pile at Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire the fashion for this landscape feature had long been established.
The avenue contains the longest double avenue of lime trees in Europe, two miles long with 1,296 trees. The Common Lime is a hybrid of the native Broad Leaf and Small Leaf Limes. Clumber Park was acquired by the National Trust in 1946 after being left to the people of Worksop by the Duke of Newcastle.
The black bands a metre or so up the trunks date from 1906 when the trees were found to be suffering from insect attack. In an attempt to alleviate this, grease were painted around each tree to prevent the insects climbing up.