A windy Christmas Day view across the pasture fields of Highcliffe Farm which is named as Cod Hill on older maps. The large cleft is mapped as Bold Venture Gill, a name that probably derives from its small ironstone quarry implying a daring investment opportunity. Ironstone outcropped in the gill and was calcined and hauled down a tramway to the Middlesbrough to Guisborough Railway which was completed in 1853. Cod Hill quarry was one of a number of small mines and quarries operated by J.W. Pease & Co., others being Ayton Moor, Roseberry, Newton and Hutton. They were later operated together as the Hutton Ironstone Mines.