The high moors have somewhat woolly boundaries. On the modern Ordnance Survey this moor is named as Bilsdale West Moor. On the 1952 version it’s down as Whorlton Moor. And as Howe Moor on the 1853. This sandstone outcrop is a jumble of boulders called Stone Ruck and is on the watershed between Raisdale and Thackdale. The large letter ‘F’ carved into the surface signifies it once formed the boundary of the Feversham estate. It also forms the modern parish boundary of Bilsdale. Ruck is likely to be a word of Scandinavian origin meaning a stack or heap.