Greenside Mine was once the biggest lead mine complex in the country and operated for nearly 300 years finally closing in 1962. The High Horse Level was one of the earliest to be exploited by Dutch ‘Adventurers’ in the late 17th century. The stone extracted was dressed to separate out the lead ore and waste materials dumped producing the fan of tailings.
Dressing required a constant supply of water so Sticks Gill was dammed on the left of the photo. In the 1870s the ’Top Dam’ burst causing much damage.
The hill opposite is Green Side, from which the mine takes its name. Its on the on the east ridge of Stybarrow Dodd. The two large ‘glory holes’ are collapses of the Gilgowars Level which occurred in 1862 collapse. Fortunately this happened on a Sunday when the mine was closed so no one was killed.