In Raisdale above High Crossletts farm, a traditional gate post or stoop or to use the North Yorkshire name yat stead. There is no trace of the other stoop which would have been located about where I was standing to take the photo. It would have had recessed holes corresponding to the grooves on this one. One end of poles just a bit wider that the gap would been inserted into the holes and the other end slipped along the groove, closing the gap.
The other post in the photo is a relatively modern pre-cast concrete one. All traces of the field boundaries have disappeared and these two posts stand in isolation. Looking at the 1857 Ordnance Survey map a lane enclosed both sides is shown on the alignment on the gate, perhaps evidenced today by the presence of nettles indicating a nitrogen rich soil. But by 1915 this lane is shown with a boundary one side only, the existing wall you can see today.
Nearing Cock Howe, a Bronze Age round barrow on Noon Hill, we disturbed three Greylag Geese grazing on grasses on the moor. After a noisy lap to check us out they headed off north towards Brian’s Pond, happily honking away. Heather moorland is not their usual habitat. They might be in transit heading back north to their breeding grounds in Iceland or then they might some that are permanently resident in Britain.
Greylags are large pink legged geese with characteristic orange beaks. 3,300 years ago they were domesticated from which our common farmyard geese are descended. Which happened to be around the time that the burial mound at Cock Howe was constructed.
A single storey sandstone building with date 0f 1826 on the door lintol. It underwent restoration in 2008 after a gable had collapsed in storms the previous year. It is unused but still contains the original functionality although the beehive-shaped firehood was destroyed by the collapse. The building contains element of an earlier construction indeed a 1781 map shows a blacksmith’s shop. It was last used in the 1940s.
The village of Chop Gate is on the B1257 between Stokesley and Helmsley and is pronounced ‘Chop Yat’. On the left of the photo is the Buck Inn which incidentally is also shown on the 1781 map but recorded as Baker’s coffee house and garden.